Sunday, March 9, 2008

Ten Commandments for Pet Owners


1. My life is likely to last 10-15 years. Any separation from you is likely
to be painful.

2. Give me time to understand what you want of me.

3. Place your trust in me. It is crucial for my well-being.

4. Don't be angry with me for long and don't lock me up as punishment.
You have your work, your friends, your entertainments. But I have only you.

5. Talk to me. Even if I don't understand your words, I do understand
your voice when speaking to me.

6. Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget it.

7. Before you hit me, before you strike me, remember that I have teeth
that could easily crush the bones in your hand, and yet I choose not to
bite you.

8. Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative, ask yourself if
something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right food,
I have been in the sun too long or my heart might be getting old or weak.

9. Please take care of me when I grow old. You too will grow old.

10. On the difficult journey, on the ultimate difficult journey, go with
me please. Never say you can't bear to watch. Don't make me face this
alone. Everything is easier for me if you are there. Because I love you so.


Pictured above is my beloved Basset Hound, Apache. I helped send to her The Bridge on Dec. 31st of last year. It was heartbreaking and one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. I can only talk about it now. The night before, I had a dream about going to the vet with her. I dreamed she was in the back seat of my car on the way and I sang to her. When I lifted her out of the car at the vets, she walked very slowing across the side walk, and squatted to relieve herself. I continued dreaming that I took her inside and after it was over with I walked out and saw the yellow stain in the snow. I was awful. What actually happened was EXACTLY as I dreamed it, except that when I came out, the snow had melted and there was no yellow stain there to serve as a last memory of the experience. I felt my heart lift at that. I still miss her so much.

No comments: